Tuesday, April 21, 2015

How to Can Pineapple


Canning is one of those arts that not many people know how to do. I have been canning for years now and I have learned that most things that I can taste way better then the same item that you can get from the grocery store in a can. One of those things is canned pineapple. Once you start you won't be able to stop and it is so easy that really anyone can do it!


When I am wanting to can something because what I have on hand is running low I will usually start watching adds from the local grocery stores in my area so that when what I want goes on sale then I can buy it in bulk and then can more.

This past week pineapple went on sale at Smiths for .99 each! That is amazing because it is usually about $2.98 each. I like a good deal so I ran down to Walmart where they will price match anything, and I bought 10 pineapples

Now if you have never canned pineapple don't worry. It isn't hard at all. All you need is a water bath and the cans.

The first thing that you want to do is cut up all of your pineapple. It really isn't very hard. Just very messy! 


See wasn't that easy? And that was the hardest part of canning pineapple.

Now lets get started!


1. The first thing that you want to do is fill your glass jars. Make sure that they are clean and hot! I usually fill them up to about an inch below the top rim. Once you have all of your jars full then you need to prepare your filler which will be an easy syrup that you just bring to a boil. For mine I use a light syrup that is 2 1/4 cups water and 1/4 cup cane sugar. Make enough to fill all of your jars and then fill 'em up to about one inch below rim.

2. Next you need to get all of the air bubbles out of the jars. You can do this with a canning tool or just use a butter knife. Make sure that you put the knife down all four sides of the jar. This moves the air bubbles around so that they don't break your jar during the canning process.

3. Take a clean damp warm rag and wipe down the rim of the jar to make sure that you don't have any small pieces of pineapple that might cause your jar to not seal right.

4. Prepare your jar lids by warming them in some warm water. I usually simmer mine on the stove while I am filling my jars.

5. Put your lids on your cleaned jars. Be careful because they will be very hot! I have this nifty tool that does it for me. You can get these at Walmart if you don't have it. I think they are in the canning section.

6. Place sealed jars with the rims screwed on tight into your water bath and fill it up so that all of your jars are covered. Pour some vinegar into the bath. I pour about a half cup. This will help to keep your jars nice and clean during the bath process.

When you process your pineapple you need to bring your water bath to rolling boil and then set your timer for 15 minutes. When the time is up, you are done! Take them out and let them cool. I usually let mine sit on the counter overnight without touching them. Sometimes jars can take that long to seal and pop.

Now that you have successfully canned your pineapple you will never ever want to buy that gross stuff that you get from the store. This is the best stuff! I promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...