Thursday, April 9, 2015

7 Ways to Eat Healthier





First off let me just say that I am not an expert in this area, nor do I follow all of these the best that I can. I do however try to eat healthier so that I can be the best wife and mother that I can. 


Last night after going to bed and not feeling very well because lets face it I didn't make the best food choices yesterday, I decided that I needed to have an intervention. Yup me, myself, and I all sat down and decided that it was time to make better eating habits. So without further adieu.....

1. Eat more fruits and vegetables


Duh this is a no brainer. Everyone knows that you should be eating more fruits and vegetables, the darker the better. However how many of us actually do this? The food guide pyramid actually suggests that you have nine servings of fruit and vegetables each day. That might sound like a daunting task when you look at that number, but if you try and have at least one fruit and one vegetable at each meal and when you snack then you will fill that number with no problem at all.


2. Limit liquid calories



Holy cow this one is hard. What is your favorite drink? How often do you drink it? For me that is a good old Mt. Dew and they have 170 calories per can. Not the healthiest choice. I could easily consume more calories then I should by drinking them alone! 

3. Eat more fiber


Eating a diet rich in fiber will help you lose weight. It will also help you to stay fuller longer. Another great health benefit from having a diet rich in fiber is that it can help reduce the risk of certain cancers. 

4. Snack smart


Guilty, guilty, and guilty! When I think of the word snack I automatically picture all of those unhealthy yummy things like donuts and chips. However when I am munchy for a snack I am most likely to not sit and ponder about what the most healthy option would be. Usually one of two things happens. I either need something sweet or I crave something salty. Either way the best and easiest thing to do is know before hand what you have that you can snack on, for example yogurt, an apple, some carrot sticks or broccoli. 

5. Take your vitamins 



Let's face it we are all human and sometimes we just might not make the best decisions when it comes to what we put into our mouths. That is why it is important to take a daily vitamin. Doing this will make sure that your body is getting all of the nutrients that it needs to work properly. 

6. Portion size matters



Say what? Who else is guilty of stacking food on your plate so that you can fit more on it? I know that I have done it a couple times or so, but hey I'm human and there is always room for improvement. One of the biggest problems that we as hungry Americans face is portion size. We over eat all of the time because we have a false understanding of what portion sizes are really supposed to be. 

7. Plan ahead



Plan ahead. If you know that you are going to have a busy day then put something healthy in the crock pot for dinner that night so that you are not tempted to eat out at some unhealthy fast food restaurant. Also if you are going to be away from home for most of the day then pack some healthy snacks to bring along with you.

What are some ways that you have found to eat healthier? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...